Global Mapper - User's Manual
ABOUT THIS MANUAL
This manual is for Global Mapper v9.03. Earlier versions of the software may not contain all the features
documented here. Later versions may contain additional features, or behave differently. To see the version of
your software, select [Help/About Global Mapper] from the Menu Bar. The demo version contains some but
not all of the features available through a registered version of Global Mapper.
The Global Mapper Web Site found at: http://www.globalmapper.com maintains a list of changes and
supported formats, features, links to sample data as well as current information about the Global Mapper
software. Please refer to this site to obtain the latest copy of the software.
Earlier versions of the software should be uninstalled [Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add, Remove Programs]
before installing later versions.
Global Mapper software is compatible with Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows ME,
Windows XP (32 and 64-bit versions), and Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit versions). You may also be able to
run Global Mapper on a Macintosh computer using an emulator like VirtualPC, Parallels, or Boot Camp, or
on a Linux OS under WINE. The minimum system requirements are 32 MB of RAM and 30 MB of hard drive
space for the installation. Space requirements for the data are typically higher depending upon the size of the
Step 1: Download the Global Mapper software (latest version) from the Global Mapper website:
http://www.globalmapper.com by following the Download link on the left side of the main page.
Step 2: Go to the directory in which you saved the viewer in Step 1 and select the global_mapper8_setup.exe
Step 3: Double click the icon. Select "YES" to install the program. Allow the installation to progress normally
and select any defaults it asked for.
You can freely download the latest version of Global Mapper by following the instructions above. However,
without a valid username and registration key, several significant functions will be unavailable. In particular,
if you do not obtain a valid registration key for your copy of Global Mapper you will be subject to the
• You will be unable to export data to any format.
• You will be limited to loading a maximum of 4 data files at a time. With the full version, you can load
any number of data files simultaneously.
• You will be unable to view loaded elevation data in 3D.
• You will be unable to load workspaces.
• You will be unable to do line of sight calculations using loaded elevation data.
• You will be unable to perform view shed analysis using loaded elevation data.
• You will be unable to perform cut-and-fill volume calculations using loaded elevation data.
• You will be unable to work with map catalogs.
• You will be unable to download data from WMS map servers.
Table of Contents