Lagerros depression and suicide after bariatric 2016.pdf
CE: R.R.; ANNSURG-D-16-00125; Total nos of Pages: 7;
Annals of Surgery Volume XX, Number X, Month 2016
25. Rothman KJ, Boice JD Jr, Austin H. Epidemiologic analysis with a programmable calculator. Boston, Mass: Epidemiology Resources; 1982.
26. Berry G, Armitage P. Mid-P confidence intervals: a brief review. Statistician.
27. Edholm D, Naslund I, Anders Karlsson F, et al. Twelve-year results for
revisional gastric bypass after failed restrictive surgery in 131 patients. Surg
Obes Relat Dis. 2014;10:44–48.
28. Adams TD, Gress RE, Smith SC, et al. Long-term mortality after gastric
bypass surgery. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:753–761.
29. Mitchell JE, Crosby R, de Zwaan M, et al. Possible risk factors for increased
suicide following bariatric surgery. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:665–672.
30. Tindle HA, Omalu B, Courcoulas A, et al. Risk of suicide after long-term
follow-up from bariatric surgery. Am J Med. 2010;123:1036–1042.
31. Omalu BI, Ives DG, Buhari AM, et al. Death rates and causes of death after
bariatric surgery for Pennsylvania residents 1995 to 2004. Arch Surg.
2007;142:923–928. discussion 929.
32. Zhang J, Yan F, Li Y, et al. Body mass index and suicidal behaviors: a critical
review of epidemiological evidence. J Affect Disord. 2013;148:147–160.
33. Sansone RA, Wiederman MW, Schumacher DF, et al. The prevalence of selfharm behaviors among a sample of gastric surgery candidates. J Psychosom
34. Chen EY, Fettich KC, Tierney M, et al. Factors associated with suicide
ideation in severely obese bariatric surgery-seeking individuals. Suicide Life
Threat Behav. 2012;42:541–549.
35. King WC, Chen JY, Mitchell JE, et al. Prevalence of alcohol use disorders
before and after bariatric surgery. JAMA. 2012;307:2516–2525.
36. Bali A, Jaggi AS. An integrative review on role and mechanisms of ghrelin in
stress, anxiety and depression. Curr Drug Targets. 2016;17:495–507.
37. le Roux CW, Aylwin SJ, Batterham RL, et al. Gut hormone profiles following
bariatric surgery favor an anorectic state, facilitate weight loss, and improve
metabolic parameters. Ann Surg. 2006;243:108–114.
2016 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Suicide, Self-harm, and Depression After GBP
38. Gimenez-Palop O, Coronas R, Cobo J, et al. Fasting plasma peptide YY
concentrations are increased in patients with major depression who associate
weight loss. J Endocrinol Invest. 2012;35:645–648.
39. Morales-Medina JC, Dumont Y, Quirion R. A possible role of neuropeptide Y
in depression and stress. Brain Res. 2010;1314:194–205.
40. Luppino FS, de Wit LM, Bouvy PF, et al. Overweight, obesity, and depression:
a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Arch Gen
41. Kalarchian MA, Marcus MD, Levine MD, et al. Psychiatric disorders among
bariatric surgery candidates: relationship to obesity and functional health
status. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:328–334. quiz 374.
42. Wadden TA, Sarwer DB, Fabricatore AN, et al. Psychosocial and behavioral
status of patients undergoing bariatric surgery: what to expect before and after
surgery. Med Clin North Am. 2007;91:451–469. xi–xii.
43. Bauchowitz AU, Gonder-Frederick LA, Olbrisch ME, et al. Psychosocial
evaluation of bariatric surgery candidates: a survey of present practices.
Psychosom Med. 2005;67:825–832.
44. Clark MM, Balsiger BM, Sletten CD, et al. Psychosocial factors and 2-year
outcome following bariatric surgery for weight loss. Obes Surg. 2003;13:739–
45. Averbukh Y, Heshka S, El-Shoreya H, et al. Depression score predicts weight
loss following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2003;13:833–836.
46. Magallares A, Schomerus G. Mental and physical health-related quality of life
in obese patients before and after bariatric surgery: a meta-analysis. Psychol
Health Med. 2015;20:165–176.
47. Karlsson J, Taft C, Ryden A, et al. Ten-year trends in health-related quality of
life after surgical and conventional treatment for severe obesity: the SOS
intervention study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007;31:1248–1261.
48. Statistics Sweden. Available at: http://www.scb.se/statistik. Accessed April
49. Pratt LA, Brody DJ, Gu Q. Antidepressant use in persons aged 12 and over:
United States, 2005–2008. NCHS Data Brief. 2011;76:1–8.
www.annalsofsurgery.com | 7
Copyright © 2016 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. Unauthorized reproduction of this article is prohibited.